Sunday, 20 April 2014

DVD Label - Logo

I wanted to keep the logo quite simple, as I felt that a simple logo will allow me to create something that looks alright without having a huge background in design. A google search of publisher logo's shows too much variation to really help push the design in one way. Some logo's are just the company name in some interesting font, where other logo's remove any text all together. I did notice that publishers tended to include the company name, or at least allude to it in their logo's more often, compared to other company's and establishments.

As the fake publisher Dragon Publishing, I wanted to make mix a D and a P into some kind of unquie logo.

I first picked a font that was quite basic because I was going to fine tune it by editing the anchors indivdually. The letter 'P' already has the shape of a D within its structure but 'D' is a much bigger character so I decided to cut off loop in the 'P' and add the 'D'. To do any indivdual edits to the letter I need to 'create outlines' of the text to turn them into vector objects (done via context menu). After that its possible to edit the paths using tools, I used the siccsors tool to cut across the P. I decided to add some serifs to the I shape of the logo, by using the direct selection tool, allowing me to pull an achor point specifically.

I ended up not liking the look of the logo, it felt too childish and too crude. I was abit lost as to how to make a decent logo, so I decided to refocus my efforts to something more simple.  As this publsiher is focused on martial arts films, I thought up an interesting visual idea using one of the characters for Dragon. By placing the P and D either side of '竜'(りゅう) it could represent a pair of wings. It's a simple idea but I think it turned out much better then the previous logo.

 

             Maintaining simplicity, I typed out the characters and converted them into vector objects. The colours I chose were based on the colour wheel. By picking colours close together I'm hoping it will promote some harmory. Most of my work is based in blue however so it might be a bit hard to see, but constrasting agains the blue would draw too much attention to the logo and away from the actual content (the movie).









No comments:

Post a Comment